The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Why Me? Why Not Me?

I've come to the definite conclusion that life on this planet is very fragile and the human body, although amazingly complex in design, is vulnerable to infirmities of all sorts. As illnesses come, it may be tempting to ask "why me?" when bad news comes home; when you're told "you have cancer." I know those are words I never wanted to hear. When I was battling hard against what I hoped would just prove to be pneumonia or valley fever, I must admit now I was in denial. The cough wasn't getting better; in fact it was keeping me up most nights and my side ached all day long. The cancer was finally confirmed through pathology on fluid taken from my lung as well as a biopsy done through a bronchosopy. The doctor didn't want to tell me the bad news, but he knew I needed treatment right away.

Of all the things that flooded through my mind, one thing I didn't ask God was "why me?" and there are several reasons why. First, I was realizing the consequences of my own actions. I had quit smoking some years ago, but evidently not soon enough. Of course, I never should have started that filthy habit. The other reason I couldn't even think of blaming God for cancer is the reality that we live in a fallen world.  As a Christian, I know that the sin of Adam and Eve had permanent consequences. As a result of their desire to place themselves above God, today we see mutations, disease, death, deceit, and all evil associated with self-exaltation. Romans 5:12 reads "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned.." And yet we can trust that He is "upholding all things by the word of His power" and "in Him all things consist." (Hebrews 1:3 and Colossians 1:17)  Moreover no matter what life brings I know He understands my ever weakness because He knows me from the inside out. Jesus Christ, the One True God paid the full price for our sin so that we could go to Him directly will all our doubts, questions and concerns. His Word says...."For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all [points] tempted as [we are, yet] without sin." 

So since I understand that nothing in this world will last anyway, I can say without hesitation "why not me?" I have clear confidence heaven awaits me not because of anything I have don,e but because of all He has willingly done on my behalf. I must admit I have shed tears and felt pain on this journey. My husband knows that as well as my Lord. Yet the Scriptures promise those who have trusted Christ can be assured "God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." (Revelation 21:4) With my eyes fixed on Jesus, I can press on to the upward call of God and look forward to blessing others on the way. "Why not?"

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment