The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

American Cancer Society and the Links

When first diagnosed with cancer you have more questions than answers about how your life will change and how to live your life and still get treatment. Since I have thus far survived this battle (all thanks to Jesus Christ) I wanted to give the newly diagnosed the benefit of my experience with finding good resources. I have a list of links on my "Comfort in Christ Cancer Support" blog.

The American Cancer Society (ACS) provides many free benefits to cancer patients. Among these are the Look Good Feel Better program. It's a makeup and beauty tips program for women. I attended one of these after my hair fell out, which helped me ward off the urge to hide away. At the main LGFB site you'll get help finding events in every state as well as the Virtual Workshop. I also took advantage of the free wigs ACS offers. Wigs are donated and usually need to be washed before worn. You need to buy wig shampoo for this. The "wig closet" also offers breast prosthesis and bras, scarves, bandanas, plus a whole lot more. ACS offers the Road to Recovery Program, which offers transportation for patients to and from their cancer treatments and a Lodging Program; reduced or complimentary lodging for patients and a caregiver who travel for treatments.

Other links on the blog include finding grant money and financial aid for the uninsured or underinsured. So many people fall into this category and shouldn't worry about money at a time like this. Joni Eareckson Tada is a Christian woman who's been treated for breast cancer. Joni also was paralyzed by a diving accident at the age of 16. I posted a video link about Joni's attitude toward cancer. Take a look. I'll be posting more links to good resources. I have avoided any therapies or assistance that is rooted in eastern religion. The power of prayer to the One, True God of the Bible Jesus Christ, has proven time and again to be answered in magnificent ways. He has not forsaken me - just as He promised. (Hebrews 13:8) Fully trusting Jesus to provide all that's needed is now more important than ever. What a wonderful Savior.  

The Christian music links on the blog are some of my favorites and a few in particular such as "Praise You in This Storm" have really ministered to my heart through this trial. I pray the same for my brothers and sisters sharing this road with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment