The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Give thanks with a Grateful Heart

I have so much to thank the Lord for in the midst of this trial with cancer. I wanted to state it for my own benefit to remind me of all He has done and perhaps encourage others not to give up on seeking and finding Jesus Christ, Savior, Healer and Everlasting God.

Timing as they say is everything but I don't leave anything up to luck or chance. Since the Lord knows all the breaths I take and "every moment I'm awake" He knew I needed to be here in Arizona when I received this diagnosis. I am receiving some of the best care known to man and getting results from it. I have learned that some people don't get better and can be allergic to chemotherapy. Though I struggle with numbness and tingling in my toes and feet I have thus far experienced none of the other side effects predicted with these drugs. I am told I'm on some of the strongest drugs around so I consider it a real blessing to tolerate these killers and still be able to work.

The Lord knew when cancer came my way I would need to get out of the heat and He had just the right job waiting for me. His ways are perfect and when He promoted me to the Program Manager job with Beacon Group I found the ability to get out of the heat, flexibile hours to be able to make my medical appointments and a great group of peers there to encourage me to take care of myself. Again, the Lord knew we needed to be in Arizona.

My husband Flynn (of almost fifteen years) has been there from day one reminding me "we will get through this together." On the day we received this news, one of the first things I said to Flynn was, "I am so glad I am a Christian because I don't know how people who don't know the Lord get through this." Let me add I am so glad I have a Christian husband. My Lord works in and through Flynn as well to uphold me when I weak, remind me God's not finished with me yet, and cook the best food for me on top of everything else. Thank you Jesus for bringing Flynn and I closer together than ever before because of cancer! The Lord knew how much I would need a man like Flynn.

In addition to steadfast friends from back east  we have been amazingly blessed by our church fellowship, through Calvary Chapel now in Tucson. Of course we are so grateful Flynn works  for their affiliated school as a 2nd grade teacher. He finds joy unspeakable sharing the love of God with the little ones. Getting connected to the church body as whole right from our arrival has paid amazing benefits toward our spiritual growth, as well as provided amazing support during our current trial. Countless cards, prayer and gifts have come our way - some anonymously. Facebook messages (too) have come at just the right time to lift me up when I'm inclined to feel down. It is so good to be knit together with a Bible believing church that really lives out the message of the Gospel. What a support system I am encouraged to find in Arizona; the Carmacks and Kilbys now to boot plus a high school alumnus or two. :-)


To all my facebook friends, I wish you the very best Thanksgiving has to offer.  If you don't know the Lord may you find each other as you count the many blessings in your life. My prognosis I can say without a doubt is eternal life because of Jesus. Yeah God! < Cherrie


"For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy is His name.  And His mercy is on those who fear Him From generation to generation."  (Luke 1:49-50)

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. "I am so glad I am a Christian because I don't know how people who don't know the Lord get through this."

    I have said this so many times during our family's struggles these past few years ... though not cancer we are fighting, just the same I can say it is because of Christ that I was able to stay strong even when my faith faltered through the whole thing and I continue to keep my eyes on the Son!

    God bless you and Flynn!
    Kelly Stevens (Jessicas mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,

    We too have been through many trials of various sorts, which in retrospect paved the way for the current trial with cancer. I hope this blog will encourage many others with hope and endurance in Christ no matter what they may be facing. I also look forward to those of us who know Christ to help strengthen one another and bless them that don't know Him with the offer of peace only He can bring. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete