The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Adjusting Priorities

When faced with life-altering news, priorities inevitably must change to have the energy to deal with what's ahead. This transformation doesn't occur in the blink of an eye and thankfully the Lord doesn't reveal everything in store all at once. If I had known all that laid ahead for me when I first found out about the cancer, I'm quite certain I would have ducked and ran for cover. I am glad He only reveals a little bit at a time. No matter what we're faced with, it's important to remember that today is all we have; perhaps moment by moment is even a better way to look at life. "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (Matthew 6:33,34)

Ever since 'sin came in' we can expect trouble, toil and strife, yet the Lord God, in His grace, offers a simple yet amazing way out from under the burden of life's trials and the problem of worry. He says "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30) Come to Him....seek Him...learn from Him. He promises rest and yet we want to still strive. I believe it is because "our inward man" seeks the credit for any accomplishment in life, even when dealing with overcoming life's most humbling issues.

The Scriptures teach, however, that "our outward man is perishing" (2 Corinthians 4:16) so why not yield to the Lord so that "our inward man" can be "renewed day by day" just as He promises? Cancer or any other disease is proof the body is not meant to last forever. There's no getting around it when you're undergoing treatment and need a bigger killer like chemo to treat the mutated cells multiplying faster than rabbits.  Facing all this reality forces one to examine what is really important.

Seeking God's kingdom for the Christian ought always be first and foremost. We who know Christ are certain He is our prize and Heaven is designed without crying, suffering or pain. (Revelation 21:4) The former things, meaning the bonds of this present broken world, will have passed away. So, when we examine our situation in light of eternity do the little things matter anymore? Whether it's getting cut off in traffic, or a personality conflict at work, does it matter who wins? Let them win. Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit Peter writes this exhortation, "Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul, having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation." (1 Peter  2:11,12)

While we still dwell in our earthly bodies we will falter in succeeding with giving everything over to the Lord, and that is why we need each other especially during times of trial. How many reminders I have had during this past year+ I have been treated for cancer to keep my eyes on the prize and remember my citizenship is in Heaven. (Philippians 3:20) Lord, I pray for all those undergoing a trial of any kind, asking first for their salvation and secondly, that they may look steadfastly to You for all they want or need. In Jesus name.

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment