The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Deliver me from Evil

Trials come to us in all shapes, sizes and length of duration. Be it the economy of your pocketbook, the status of your relationships, the challenge to raise well adjusted children, or facing the uphill battle to regain health; looking at circumstances does little to comfort the soul. Whatever an individual is going through, the struggle is usually all consuming and sometimes gigantic from their perspective. As we contend with the state of affairs in our lives, which will invariably include tribulations, I want to put forth that we don't have to be worn out by them. In fact, I believe that by faith in the Lord we can live in greater contentment through looking at how He is working all things together for the good of those who love Him. (Romans 8:28)

Getting personal now, if I looked deeply into the fact that I have cancer I could surely depress into sadness over mutated cells multiplying beyond my control to destroy me. This way of living would do no earthly good and bankrupt me of the opportunity to find joy in my life.  I've faced other giants, but of course none compares to one that is life threatening. As the Lord has walked with me, I have seen so many ways He has changed my priorities, taught me how to love more and worry less. I have also witnessed how He is using this battle to effect people around me. The Scriptures account for us the life of Job who was tested by God and tempted by Satan. Job lost all that he had and yet he did not curse God. Job questioned the Lord personally asking Him why and how much longer, which deepened his faith and as His trial neared the end, Job said this: "I know that You can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You." (Job 42:2) Once he finally saw the Lord clearly, all Job had lost was restored to him and "the Lord blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning." (Job 42:12)  Job is an example for me of someone did not look at circumstances but looked for and toward the face of God, because only God knows the end from the beginning.

When Moses returned to Egypt to set the Israelites free from slavery, it wasn't as easy task. The ten plagues (some think) took place over a period of years. I am sure they thought what is taking so long to be delivered from this evil. Moses, by faith
"seeing Him who is invisible" pressed on with his call and led God's people through the Red Sea while the giants who once oppressed them were covered over by the waters in their futile pursuit to destroy them. Thinking about Israel by the way, God has always protected them, not because they are lovely or faithful but they were chosen to bring forth Christ our Redeemer. When Israel was about to enter the promised land Moses picked 12 men, one from each tribe to go spy out the land. When they returned they reported there were giants in the land and only Caleb from the tribe of Judah was inspired to say, "Let us go up at once and take possession, for we are well able to overcome it." (Numbers 13:30)

Just like Job, just like Moses, just like Caleb and many others who've gone before us, we need to look to the Lord instead of circumstances. We need to look to the Lord to deliver us from evil in His timing. Why? Jesus Christ alone is God come in the flesh who died, once for all mankind to set us free from sin and death. The apostle Peter said, "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment