The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Journey with Lung Cancer

I am adding my story with cancer to my blog so those who follow will know that by this time in my journey I've experienced the full spectrum of cancer treatments and all the fears, doubts and questions that come with it. I also want to convey the lesson I've learned in the most powerful way possible; through it all, live or die Jesus wins; Jesus saves.


I was diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer in August 2010. It was about time, but I wasn't nearly ready to hear the news, "you've got cancer." For eight months I had been hoping my poor health and horrible cough could be attributed to something else - pneumonia, allergies, anything but cancer. This is not outside the realm of possibilities since lung cancer does masquerade as something else, being very hard to detect in early stages and usually by the time a persistent cough arrives (like me) it's already growing. 

When I was referred to a very caring pulmonologist in late June he tested me for valley fever. When that was ruled out agressive testing ensued. The good doctor performed a bronchosopy to get tissue samples from my left lung as well as a thoracentesis to extract lung fluid. I literally now know what it's like to be stabbed in the back. These tests confirmed the CAT scan findings and the PET scan showed the cancer was in most of my left lung and threatening the right by advancing through the mediastinum; the partition between both lungs. Since lung cancer "likes to land" in the liver, bones and brain, tests were ordered to see if the cancer had spread. The liver panel and bone scan were negative. The brain MRI confirmed a small lesion. Since chemotherapy doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, the oncologist wanted the brain lesion radiated first. I had a treatment done called stereotatic radiosurgery - very science fiction if anyone would like details. I called the week all this was done "Medical Madness."  Since the disease had metastized to my brain I was labelled stage 4. My husband and I decided we would not live by statistics however, but by faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.


My first chemotherapy treatment was August 12, 2010. I received chemo treatments for 8 months. Again, if anyone wants to know what that was like, feel free to email me if you're not comfortable posting here. I had two CAT scans in between August 2010 and April 2011 which showed the chemo had worked well in shrinking the tumors. Another PET scan at that time confirmed that I might be a candidate for surgery. Only 25% of people with stage 4 lung cancer are referred for surgery. I was scheduled for a left lower lobectomy. On May 26, 2011 the surgeon had me put to sleep and when I woke up I found out he had taken the whole left lung. Obviously CAT scans are not as reliable the eyewitness testimony. I was dismal for about an hour afterward, contemplating how my life would change with only one lung. Then the Lord made me keenly aware of my surroundings and that there are people worse off than me. I know Jesus Christ!!!!! I asked Him to help me redeem the time remaining to go even deeper with Him to be used to help others know Him.


I was hoping I would be done with treatments, but not so. Since the lung is like a bellows and there were malignant cells present on the outside of the lung he was concerned there might be cells growing on my ribcage. He convinced me to undergo radiation therapy so I started that on September 6, 2011. I need 25 treatments and so far I've had 9. The radiation oncologist says 90-95 percent of the time "no side effects - only God is 100%." On that I totally agree! I also started on maintenance chemo September 12, 2011. These last only an hour, instead of 6 hours so we're moving in the right direction.


The link to the Mayo Clinic article I posted on my blog says that only 1% of the people in my situation get to this point. The surgeon said statistics tell him I should be dead by now, but I'm not and that's why he's "throwing the kitchen sink at me." He also said most people on whom he's performed pneumonectomies are oxygen dependent, wheelchair bound and on disablity the rest of their lives. Praise God, I'm still working. The only time I've really taken off since this whole thing started was four weeks to recover from surgery.

To the Christian reading this I say, we serve a mighty God who's been proven to heal the sick and raise the dead. We know that and cancer deepens our understanding of the reality of Jesus in our lives, beyond anything I've experienced before. To those that don't know the Lord Jesus as their Savior and King I say, consider eternity now before it's too late. The Scripture from James speaks to our short time here: "whereas you do not know what [will happen] tomorrow. For what [is] your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away." (James 4:14) Jesus Christ is the truth, the life and the way (John 14:6) and today is the day of salvation. (2 Corinthians 6:2)

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment