The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Please, no Empty Calories



Snicker bars, hot fudge sundaes, cherry pie, chocolate donuts - just a few of my favorite comfort foods that make me smile and satisfy the sweet tooth. When I was expecting my son, the childbirth class teacher referred to such edibles as "empty calories" appealing to the eye and taste buds, but of little or no nutritional value.

Our world these days is full of offerings to tempt the senses. We sample and consume many things that aren't necessarily good for us. In fact, some things can be subtly dangerous, candy-coated on the outside, but poisonous on the inside. We are willing to take the risk and eat to our heart's content because perhaps we foolishly think we will live forever or maybe we admittedly fear life will be cut short and want to go for the gusto regardless of the consequences.

It's going on (wow) twenty years since I laid down my life for Jesus Christ and decided to stop making up my own rules for living. I must admit it’s taking time for the Lord to help me to get rid of old habits. One of the first things to go was foul language and the compulsion to take the Lord's name in vain. Over the years I've found myself losing other unattractive characteristics and discovered I miss them about as much as a headache. The key to giving up these "empty calories" has been commitment to spend time with the Lord and get to know Him through reading and studying His word.

Now, I am facing perhaps the biggest challenge of my life thus far and I am fully persuaded everything I have come to know about my God and Savior through feasting on His word will be my continued source of strength. The Lord has surrounded me with “a great cloud of His witnesses” right now to help me remember that (for which I am ever so grateful). I would in turn like to urge anyone reading this to consider life on this earth is but a handbreadth; a brief gift from God we may choose to be used or abuse. In a moment life may be gone and then what? Eternity is a very long time. Each of us will give an account for our time spent here, for the choices we made. We can't earn the grace of God, and His grace didn't come cheap either: it cost the Father everything to redeem us. Let us make the most of the time we've been given, for His glory and not our own.

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,
looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,
who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works." (Titus 2:11-14)


For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment