The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Friday, February 3, 2012

Potent Weaponry


A couple of weeks ago I discovered that two lymph nodes in my chest are cancerous. The good news is they can be treated with radiation treatments – at least that’s the rumor. One of the nodes is close to my heart; we pray not on the heart because that would be a tricky surgical procedure and I’m not craving more surgery. Make no mistake: I don’t want this blog to ever be a platform to complain about my situation! I recently found a blog for Fox News.com by a woman going through cancer and it’s a depressing read. Complaining does no earthly good. My latest condition however has given me pause for thought on how pervasive cancer can be if left untreated. It invades healthy tissue silently with stealth and grows under the surface until it manifests into a tumor which lights up like neon on diagnostic scans. After all the treatment I’ve had, one would think, ‘it’s all gone – how could there still be cancer hanging around.’ I’ve learned it doesn’t stay put, but breaks off microscopically and travels to find other healthy tissue to destroy. A cancer tumor or node must be the size of a pea to be detected on scans, which means it’s had time to grow large enough to be treatable – doctors don’t concern themselves with tiny irregularities; only bright lights. Clearly a weapon stronger than the cancer is required to vanquish the advancing enemy.

To get my mind off this recent development I think Jesus got me thinking on how much the nature of cancer reminds me of sin. The epistle of James teaches: “But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.” (James 1:14-16) The effects of sin may not be seen initially since most us of do our best to secret away carnal lusts or dishonest gain. Cancer works that way, hiding out – trying to go undetected and left unchecked it grows, travelling to other vital organs. Sin similarly takes over every part of our lives, affecting those we love, as well as those that shoulder the trial alongside us.  

The agent prescribed to kill the cancer must be stronger than the disease, but with that power comes side effects that can be painful. Hair loss, painful joints, sleeplessness are common. The body, once familiar and whole is impaired and altered by surgery and chemo treatments. Getting rid of sin in our lives can be painful as well. We’re used to behaving in certain ways, using unseemly language, going places that are unhealthy, but consider sin is not a loving master. “Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one's slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?” (Romans 6:16) Just like untreated cancer, sin always leads to death and the worst death is eternal separation from God.

The best weapon to kill sin is not man-made; rather it is the power of the God of the Universe, Jesus Christ. When He ascended to Heaven, the Holy Spirit came to convince any willing heart that Jesus is the cure for sin. A scripture has often come to mind through this battle against cancer. “Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.” (2 Corinthians 4:16) The human suit of armor begins to fall off. Layers of selfishness and arrogance are replaced with the armor of God: “the belt of truth, the shield of faith, the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.” (Ephesians 6) Let us remember no matter the type of trials we may encounter in this temporal life, Jesus extends this invitation: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” (Revelation 3:20,21)

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment