The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Friday, February 10, 2012

Cancer Free?

According to the Bible, Adam & Eve (before the fall) and the Incarnate Jesus were the only persons who we could honestly say were cancer-free. Of course Jesus had a perfect body and never experienced any disease.  Right after sin came in the first couple lived to be hundreds of years old before they began realizing the effects of sin on their bodies.  Scientists have found evidence of cancer in the fossil record so it’s been around for a long time. It’s common knowledge that all people have cancer cells in their bodies. Our immune system “finds them and destroys them before they get a chance to multiply and cause problems.(Wiki.answers.com) Clearly immune systems get weakened from environmental causes, as a result of unhealthy choices, and through the aging process, but what might not be so obvious is a simple truth I’ve learned about this whole notion of being cancer-free.

Early on I aimed my sights at getting rid of all traces of cancer, hoping for it never to return again.  I had my heart set on it. Rightly so every step made toward seeing the Lord accomplish that mission was met with great rejoicing. But what now – what should my outlook be since learning two nodes recently found on PET scan are cancerous? How we respond to dilemmas popping up along the way is always a choice. Praise God, He has given me some insight on how to see this new development. Cancer can put a stranglehold on hope, but I can be free from worrying about the future because Jesus is already there. God’s Word teaches “If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.” (Colossians 3:1-4)  

The earthly heart might solely be concerned with cancer or any other disability for that matter. However, with belief in Jesus Christ comes absolute certainty that He is with us throughout our sojourn here, giving us hope we can put worries to rest. Setting our minds “on things above” means receiving and embracing His peace, patience, goodness – those godly attributes that flow from God’s throne. In spite of his earthly trials, the Christian has eternal joy set before him just as Jesus did when He bore the cross of shame on our behalf. (Hebrews 12:2) We do not have hope in this world, rather we desire the “better country” Abraham sought as described in Hebrews 11. There will come a day that I will be able to truly say I’m free from all diseases.

Freedom from the presence of cancer will be a tangible and eternal reality when God creates the new heavens and new earth. “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." (Revelation 21:4) We will then be absolutely free from all the affects of sin, guaranteed. There’s s song playing on the radio by Building 429 these days that rings in my head: “All I know is I’m not home yet. This is not where I belong. Take this world but give me Jesus. This is not where I belong.” Hallelujah!!

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment