The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Thursday, February 16, 2012

High Country


Ah yes – horseback riding in the high country around Tucson; nothing quite like it, especially less than a year after a major surgery. Not long after I mounted the unknown steed as we traversed the rocky, narrow (not to mention steep paths) I began to wonder ‘what was I thinking – risking falling off this beast in my still fragile condition?’ Funny, when I was young and foolhardy I thought nothing of throwing caution to the wind and doing really risky things, but not now. No – not now that I am faced with the brevity of this life. Back to the point of this tale…The equine kind chosen for me goes by the name of Tommy Boy. I explained to Tommy Boy in no uncertain terms that I didn’t want to charge forth – I don’t race anymore, as if he should care. Making ascents and descents upon this terrain - this dusty cactus laden way it occurred to me ‘I’m committed – there’s no turning back; I’m going to have to trust good ole Tommy Boy to safely return me to the corral intact.’

This whole adventure reminded me of the landscape of one’s life. The path isn’t easy. There are risks, hazards and many twists and turns to navigate.  Unfriendly, hungry beasts may pop up out of nowhere to put a damper on the expedition. Yet there’s no turning back, especially as a Christian – I’m committed. It’s not stubborn determination. Those that are born again know there’s nowhere else to go. As Peter said to Jesus “Lord to whom shall we go. You have the Words of Eternal Life.” (John 6:68) Yet the path is hard, stressful, and agonizingly painful at times. Where does peace of mind and spirit come from?  Being totally surrendered to Holy Spirit, completely dependent on Him to carry me all the way Home is the key to such peace.  The Holy Spirit isn’t as some think - a warm feeling in the tummy or some mystic guide to be summoned up at will. He is a person with character traits like mere mortals, yet so much greater! ‘His thoughts are not our thoughts; His ways are higher than our ways.’ (Isaiah 55:9) He is the third member of the Godhead.  Jesus told us the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth, the Comforter, Teacher, and Helper.  (John 14)   The Holy Spirit brings to our remembrance the things of God just when we need the right words to say. Even though God is so much greater than any horse I couldn’t help but see how like “Tommy Boy” carried me safely back to the corral, the Holy Spirit will bring me securely through every trial and convey my spirit into the presence of the Lord when it’s time to leave this earth.

Strange the things which come to mind when you’re held captive by circumstances, hanging tight to a saddle horn in the desert. Disease can easily hold one’s body and mind captive. Thoughts about how to get well or just plain deal with a life re-defined can be all consuming. During my captivity with cancer purposely lifting up the Lord has done much more than gotten me by, it’s been the very air I breathe. I know this now more than ever before; God’s Word can be trusted to support and sustain us as we pass through dangerous territory packed with plenty of thorn-laden plants and wily coyotes.  See here in Psalm 18 verses 28-33…”For You will light my lamp; The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness. For by You I can run against a troop, by my God I can leap over a wall. As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. For who is God, except the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God? It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of deer, and sets me on my high places.” The horse took me places I could never go on my own. By his strength I was able to climb the high places. It is the same with the Lord.

Whether you are struggling with a disease or not this message is still for you as much as it is for me. No one leaves this earth without first encountering a trial of some kind. It is the nature of being human to be tested and tried. Trying to get over it with the ‘pull yourself up by your bootstraps’ philosophy is hollow, devoid of substance. Only Jesus Christ offers the promise to take the burdens off our shoulders. He says, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30) Oh yes, let’s trust Jesus to take us safely all the way Home!


For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment