The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Light to My Feet

A couple of days ago day my husband leaped out of bed when he heard thud, thud, thud, “ouch!” He found me in a contorted position on the stairs holding my right foot, but in fact I was kicking myself for not watching where I was going. At 5:00 a.m., when it’s still pitch black outside, I will be sure to turn the lights on after getting out of bed; before going downstairs to make my morning tea. Through all the months of chemo treatments, surgery and now radiation I have taken very good care of myself, even going so far as to watch my church webcasts at home on Sundays rather than risk picking up some airborne bug sitting amongst the flock. But that dark morning, going down the stairs was a little different story. Fortunately, my bruised big toe turned out to be sprained rather than broken; praise the Lord. It’s when we’re not paying attention, when we’re walking in the dark, that we hurt ourselves.
Later that day, I began thinking of the spiritual analogies that might be drawn from this accident. The world is full of pitfalls and snares that can trip us up, causing us to fall. Wolves in sheep’s clothing promise the world and deliver nothing - crooking the finger and drawing the undiscerning off the path to more emptiness than every known before. Tragic stories like these have been retold over and over again laying the all blame on the wolf, forgetting one thing that’s true for every human – myself included; "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; Who can know it?” (Jeremiah 17:9) The Lord alone completely knows and is equipped to rightly judge our hearts. I have observed however, that we as people have a tendency to throw caution to the wind, gravitating toward the pleasures of the world rather than embracing what is right and true.
There’s a tendency of course to make truth subjective now more than ever, but there simply cannot be more than one way to God. Jesus Christ alone made the way for us to reach God the Father. The Bible teaches He gave His life as a ransom for many. (Mark 10:45) The Christian life isn’t about religion filled with guilt, duty and ritual; it’s a relationship with the Living God who loved us so much He laid down His life for us. It is the path He paved I seek to find and follow. He is the Light of the World. He says that those who follow Him “shall not walk in darkness but have the Light of Life.” (John 8:12) Though I will not ever be perfect in this life, with His light on me and in me, I should not stumble or spiritually fall. As I keep my eyes on Him, He keeps me as the apple of His eye and hides me under the shadow of His wings. (Psalm 17:8)
My friends, in dark moments, let us keep the Light of Christ on by keeping in step with Jesus, looking to Him and abiding in His Word no matter what trial we face. Let us comfort each other along the way, agreeing with the psalmist who writes: “Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105)
For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment