The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Great Physician

"Doctors, nurses and all your supporting cast; oh how we need your expertise to make us better, but why do you forget sometimes that we are people too, not case studies, certainly not merely pin cushions?" One obvious downside to dealing with a major illness is the feeling of being held hostage by the healthcare system. How absolutley necessary it is to have the poking, prodding and injecting required to establish a correct diagnosis and get treatment. Yet we cry out, “Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me; O Lord, make haste to help me!” (Psalm 40:13)

I absolutley believed the Lord could heal me from cancer at any time, but in the meantime asked Him for wisdom for the correct steps to take in getting well. Submitting to chemotherapy,  constant scans and x-rays are part of the package. While some in patient care were impatitent and not so caring, I wondered if perhaps they are heavy laden too and I should pray that the Savior will give them rest. (Matthew 11:28) Could my suffering be a divine appointment to act on their behalf as an intercessor to the Lord? In God’s universe nothing is left up to chance for those who love Him.

I look around. Those in white coats seemingly focus on my diagnosis, forgetting that I’m a person, gazing intently at their clipboards. Others waking me at 5:00 a.m. by shoving an x-ray plate under my surgically wrapped back. “Ouch!” Perhaps they too are in need of prayer. Likening my situation to Joseph, one of Jacob’s 12 sons being (falsely) imprisoned, brought needed perspective. (Genesis 39:20-chapter 40) Joseph didn’t let his bondage hinder him from speaking God’s truth to those around. Similarly God could use my bondage to chemotherapy to help set free those held captive by sin.

When my doctor told my husband and I the statistical probability of surviving Stage 4 cancer was around 10%, we of course felt discouraged. The heart sinks with the thought of this life and the plans we had being cut short, but the Lord quickly reminded us; He knows the plans He has for us (Jeremiah 29:11) and that we don’t live by statistics, but by faith in the Son of God who loves us and gave Himself for us. (Galatians 2:20) About midway through chemo treatments I was feeling frustrated with a key person on my healthcare team. I asked the Lord why He had given me this person to work with and He quickly answered – “So you, Cherrie, will put your trust in Me and not in man.” Ah yes. I know all my trust I freely give to Jesus, but that principle came home to roost once again at the height of my anxiety.

Jesus has many names: King, Messiah, Chief Cornerstone, Prince of Peace, Everlasting God. He is also the Healer as Matthew 4:24 points out: “And His fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto Him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick , and those that had the palsy; and [Jesus] healed them.” I know He created the universe in six days, just like He said. I know He raises the dead. He is the Great Physician to whom we should look and to whom we should pray in times like these. Friend, if you are struggling with a major illness right now, I do understand your battle. Let’s pray together to seek His wonderful face and accept His comforting embrace. He paid it all. Hallelujah!


For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment