The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Friday, September 21, 2012

Perfect Timing

It’s said, “It’s the little things that count.” Last Thursday we sat in the doctor’s office once again awaiting results of the PET scan taken a couple days earlier. For those taking notes, a PET scan is positron emission tomography, which is a nuclear medicine imaging technique that produces a three-dimensional image or picture of functional processes in the body. How do they do that? Seriously: by injecting us with radioactive glucose, letting it course through the veins for forty-five minutes, and then sending us through the tube for some pictures. Wherever the glucose lights up is “hot” for possible cancer. I’ve had a few not so good PET scan results over the last 2 years, but this last one held good news for me. Though the cancer isn’t gone, it’s stable, which means two small nodes are getting microscopically smaller and there isn’t any cancer moving about in the body to cause trouble elsewhere. Most thrilling was the special answered prayer connected to this message.

My son is getting married at the end of December. My husband and I so hoped and prayed the doctor would think it might be time for a break from chemo so I could be healthier to enjoy this upcoming blessed event, particularly since the wedding will take place in cold Wisconsin climes. Brrr! When the doc brought up only 2 more cycles of chemo, then taking a break for most of November and December we were so happy. I hope to get stronger – get back to going for walks! To be sure, my friends; it’s those little things that are much appreciated during a trial like this so don’t take your health for granted – ever. As a believer in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, I do want to be about the Lord’s business, especially since every breath I take with just one lung comes from Him.

Some may say because I am a Christian I shouldn’t be sick or if I had enough faith the Lord would take cancer away. I say, the Lord allowed cancer to visit me at just the right time for many practical reasons having to do with treatment and support I’ve received. Even more so I pray He has used my infirmity to reach many more people for Him than I could've ever done without cancer. A couple of examples from Scripture come to mind. Joseph is really noted for beauty far exceeding a song about his multi-colored coat. His brothers sold him to slave traders when he was a teen and he spent many years in prison before finally being released and revealed as the “prince of Egypt.” Joseph’s time of confinement was spent learning the Lord and ministering for Him to Pharaoh’s servants. When finally released, he was prepared for the biggest job of his earthly life – feeding a multitude of people during a famine, including the brothers that betrayed him! (Genesis 37-50).

The Apostle Paul did amazing work for the Lord, planting churches all over the region, healing the sick, raising the dead and suffering terrible persecutions for the name of Christ. Since he did such amazing things for God one might ask why did he have to suffer at all.  Why didn’t the Lord just give him smooth sailing? 2 Corinthians 12 verse 7 tells us Paul also had a thorn in his flesh, something physical the Lord allowed in his life to keep him from becoming self-exalted or conceited. He prayed just like I’ve prayed for the Lord to take it away. It would be silly not to pray for that. Instead of focusing on the calamities Paul says he boasted in them, saying when he is weak Christ is strong. Now, the Lord knows I am no super saint, but the question remains – how will I respond to my infirmities? The cancer isn’t gone. The thorn remains, but God is still good and my son is getting married!

 Come December 29, 2012 I will be feasting at Jake’s wedding banquet, enjoying fellowship with others who love him and share his joy in joining his life with his bride. As special as that day will be, as much as I look forward to seeing this happy event come to pass, I am even more eager to go to the wedding feast in Heaven that awaits those who have surrendered their earthly lives to the Bridegroom, Jesus Christ.(Revelation 19:7-10) The Scriptures make it clear that only those who have trusted Jesus Christ while alive will enter Heaven so please make sure you’ve got that straight today. ("Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6.  "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16)


One closing thought: Perhaps big trials on earth are preparation for big jobs in the life to come.

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com

No comments:

Post a Comment