The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Monday, March 19, 2012

Relieved and Refreshed


We have to be careful not to endorse any medication or therapies at the Comfort in Christ Cancer Support Group. It isn’t one size fits all and such information is best obtained from physicians and best shared privately after group meetings. My husband suggested I put together a post for the group on non therapeutic methods for getting relief from side effects and staying refreshed to keep fighting the good fight against cancer. For example, through my first 8 months of treatment I received one of the strongest combinations of chemo drugs because the cancer was Stage 4. Logically of course a killer needs a needs to be killed by something stronger and with that power comes the side effect known as neuropathy.

There are many forms of neuropathy but my experience included numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. The condition worsened to include swelling in the feet and ankles and burning sensations in the calves. Relief for me came in the form of ibuprofen and alternating between hot and cold treatment as well as massages from my husband. A few nights the burning in my calves was so bad it woke me from sleep. My husband put ice cold compresses on my legs so I could fall asleep. For just achiness I used a heating pad and of course kept my legs elevated.

It hurt when my hair fell out. I didn’t expect that. I prepared for baldness by getting a wig that I thought would work for me, but it still looked like a wig. The Cancer Treatment Center has a list of stylists in town who will groom wigs for free. I took advantage of that and it was a godsend. Not only did I get a decent new look but a great scalp massage. “Nioxin’ conditioner for thinning hair worked wonders during my bald months to make my head feel good.

To any woman facing cancer I would highly recommend the “Look Good – Feel Better” program in your town. (Look Good Feel Better web site) These events are run by local stylists who donate their time to teach women how to make the most of their features.  Cancer can make the face look pale, and give the eyes a sunken look as the facial hair including lashes and brows fall out. Each woman is given a make-up kit of donated product and learns how to apply eyebrows, blush, liner and lips to look colorfully natural. Being with others undergoing cancer is always a good thing. If you know Jesus bring along your smile to bless the ladies you meet. 

As a Christian I will not ascribe to or endorse any treatment that is blatantly anti-biblical. I’m going to name these practices to warn others against succumbing to new age methods of dealing with cancer being promoted at the medical centers. Searching ehow.com I find the following information on “Reiki” which purports its recipients can heal themselves by drawing the "universal life energy" from the practitioner's "laying of hands." What’s wrong with that? Simply put Reiki is nothing more than witchcraft. The God of the Bible is not a “universal life energy” but a personal God who personally died for you and wants a personal relationship with you. “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.” (2 Chronicles 16:9)  “And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:13)

Another popular practice these days is Transcendental Meditation. I found a definition for that on the answers.ask.com web site:  [Eastern] “Meditation is the act of clearing your mind of every day clutter and concentrating on one thing, whether it be the sound or rhythm of your breathing, the song of birds, or the sound of the ocean. Meditation is supposed to calm the spirit and help you to relax and focus on one thing.” When the Lord says to meditate He is NOT saying we should empty our minds. He does say we should meditate on His word and FILL our minds with thoughts of HimI will remember the works of the Lord; Surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will also meditate on all Your work, and talk of Your deeds. Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary; Who is so great a God as our God? You are the God who does wonders; You have declared Your strength among the peoples.” (Psalm 77:11-14) Meditating on all God’s work gives us a lot to think about and takes our minds off cancer!

Summing it up, the power of prayer to the God of the Bible is the best way to overcome the affects cancer has on our lives. Personally I attribute all the amazing things the Lord has done to sustain my life through my prayers and the prayers of God’s people. Jesus is who is able to “do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think…(Ephesians 3:20). Is Jesus Christ sufficient for all things we need both now and forever? I believe He is.
 For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com

No comments:

Post a Comment