The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Finish Line


The Apostle Paul states…. “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:  I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  (Philippians 4:11-13) Paul had it rough yet he was content. When he speaks of being abased he was not kidding. He was beaten with rods, stoned, and shipwrecked just to name a few trials he suffered for the sake of the Gospel. (1 Corinthians 11:25-28)  

Everyone’s road is different. Some suffering is brought about while actively sharing God’s Word and some is simply from living in this broken world.  I have learned that God uses even cancer to challenge me to grow and share His Word with a lost and dying world.  A few days ago I found out the results of the recent PET scan which showed two new cancerous nodes. Not again! I was almost there – nearly done with treatment at least for awhile. Grrrrr! I also learned that the genetic test that could have resulted in a new, more convenient drug was not a match.  So I begin IV chemo again this Monday. All this news was delivered in the usual detached fashion I’ve become accustomed to, but as I’ve said before I will not give anyone an excuse not to believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ because of cancer in my life.

Suffering in this life is to be expected. We cannot get to Heaven unless we first die on earth. All we’ve endured is nothing compared to the incomprehensible agony Christ Himself experienced.  Jesus was beaten by men, took the weight of sin on His shoulders and on top of that He was separated from the Father while He hung there on that cross for you and me. I reflect on this passage from Hebrews 12:3-4 – “For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.” 

Can we take solace in remembrance that no matter what hardship we suffered Jesus endured so much more for our sake? The book of Hebrews also states the following about how the Lord understands our trials: “For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Heb 4: 14:15) Yes he understands what I’m going through! It was not His will for me to be in this spot facing down big bad cancer. The reality of disease is evidence of a world broken by sin and that is what He died for.

So… now what? The ever present fact that life is short makes spending one’s days pleasing the Lord all the more imperative. As my husband likes to point out “no one is promised tomorrow.” Whether in plenty or in want; whether afflicted or healed, the motivation is contentment and the goal is Jesus Christ. He’s there at the finish line waiting for us and when we see Him face to face we can confidently say of disease – not ever again!

As the chorus to the old hymn goes…“Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.”
For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com

No comments:

Post a Comment