The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pleasure in Infirmities

How strange - how foreign to our sensibilities to see the good about feeling so bad! It’s perfectly natural to strive for perfect health and well being. In fact it should be a top priority to live as healthy as possible. Therefore when we find ourselves shaken to the core by a crisis we don’t know how to handle it. Without my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, I would have handled the cancer news very differently I’m sure. Perhaps I would have grabbed the bottle like many who’ve been close to me when tough times come along. Trying to work toward a life without grief or pain is certainly an exercise in futility, isn’t it? When things don’t work out as planned it’s easy to be immersed in self-pity over the injustice of it all, followed by vain attempts to escape reality with whatever is at hand. Don’t do it. There is a better way.

The apostle Paul was no stranger to trials and troubles. He wrote to the church at Corinth: “From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness-- besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 11:24-28, 12:10)

Wow. Was Paul some kind of super-Christian who never had a day of doubt? I suspect not. Only Jesus Christ was perfect in every way. What we do see is that Paul was totally surrendered to Christ and that enabled him to put himself aside and lay down his life (as Christ did) for others. Such a goal though not necessarily easy, is attainable. The truth be told, how little it helps our health and well being to dwell on personal pain and suffering. Admittedly in the darkest days when cancer was new to me and it seemed like I’d never see the end of chemo treatments, there were some shaky moments of faith. Certainly there was no pleasure with the side effects, yet in retrospect I can see benefits beyond measure. Here’s how.

The ultimate goal of the Christian is to pick up the cross and follow hard after Jesus. Picking up the cross means dying to self; self-indulgence, self-pity, and the need to feed self-esteem. Christ alone is worthy and it’s only by His will and grace that I am privileged to breathe at all. Cancer has been just one cross I’ve had to bear in my walk thus far, but undoubtedly the most challenging. I’ve been blessed to be in this situation beyond my control to learn greater dependence on the One who “created all things and in whom all things consist.” (Colossians 1:16-17)  Prayer to Jesus, the immortal, invincible God is the most powerful weapon in this battle against the invader to the body. Prayer provides the wisdom and peace to know what treatment is best and count on God for the rest. Great pleasure is found in boldly approaching the “throne of grace,that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16) It isn’t fatalistic to realize the fragility of life when the body is assailed by chemical concoctions and crazy laser beams aimed to kill a physical enemy within. This life is but a vapor and the body is but dust, but the soul remains forever. With the soul reconciled to God through the blood of Jesus Christ, the peace that surpasses all understanding makes it easier to pick up the cross and go on. (Philippians 4:7)

I take pleasure in my infirmities when God uses them as a door for me to speak to others about Him. Cancer is analogous to sin; it must be cut out in order for the body to thrive and can amazingly function much better without it. Never would I say it was wrong for the Lord to allow me as one of His children to suffer cancer. All things including cancer work together for good to those who love God and have been called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28) If even one person comes to saving knowledge of Jesus Christ as a result of this trial God gave me the patience to endure it's worth it. To anyone reading my written thoughts or hearing my spoken words I hope the truth and mercy of Jesus rings loud and clear. Because Jesus endured the cross of shame on my behalf it’s more than worth it to become a living sacrifice unto Him. (Romans 12:2, Hebrews 12:2)

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment