The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Stength and Song

Certain songs of praise to God have struck a chord deep within my heart me at just the right time during this bout with cancer. It’s truly amazing how the Lord has used these instruments of righteousness to keep my mind on Him and off my troubles. Right about the time I was diagnosed, I had decided to give up on talk radio during drive time and instead tuned in to the local Christian radio station. This choice was so opportune, much more edifying and much less frustrating.

My main source of strength needs to always be drawn from the Holy Spirit living in me, teaching me the meaning of God’s Word, and turning my mind back to Him. It is absolutely critical to have a sure foundation in God’s Word; a personal relationship with Him not dependent on the teaching of men. (1 John 2:27) These days in which we live are filled silly notions about God and false doctrines abound. Music, if not properly chosen can lead one astray from the true God expressed through the pages of Scripture. Yet, if these melodies meant to “hit home” reflect the truth about God, His endless care and steadfast presence I am safe from being compromised by worldly ways. (A few of these songs are posted as You Tube links on my blog.)

“Praise You in This Storm” by Casting Crowns resonates with the angst of being in a trial and yet not losing hope in the Lord. “My strength is almost gone. How can I carry on?... But as the thunder rolls, I hear you whisper through the rain, ‘I’m with you.’ I lift my eyes unto the hills. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord; Maker of heaven and earth.” The writer here is referencing Psalm 121. Oh, how these reminders gave me the strength to carry on to doctor appointments, tests and scans. How sweet it was to hear our friend Sean Stone sing this song for us at our 15 year vow renewal this past June!


Gabe & Sean

Our friend Gabe Moreno blessed us when he played “Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone)” by Chris Tomlin at our vow renewal. This of course is the old hymn updated with a new refrain that reminds believers in Jesus Christ that our chains of sin are gone and we’ve been set free from the curse of death. “My God – My Savior has ransomed me and like flood, His mercy rains; unending love – amazing grace.” As Gabe sang that song, memories of being tempted to despair over the loss of my hair briefly flashed back into focus. Thankfully when I heard this song on the radio and at our church worship services, the Lord reminded me that because He died I can live. Though this body is held captive by the curse of original sin, a new body is promised to me that will never wear out all thanks to Jesus sacrificing all for me on that cross. “The Son of Man came to give His life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:28) …”Whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:15)

“Glorious Day (Living He Loved Me)” by Casting Crowns is an excellent re-telling of the Gospel message. Again, there are counterfeits to Biblical Christianity but only the God of the Bible lived as a man, died a criminal’s death, and rose from the grave to bring salvation to all who would choose Him. Amazingly He both died for those that love Him and those that hate Him. The song, telling us “death could not hold Him – the grave could not keep Him,” reminds me of 1 Corinthians 15: “For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures… (verses 3-4)” New King James Version-1 Corinthians 15 Whether I live countless years on this planet or cancer claims me sooner than later, I can be at peace. Since death had no sting over Christ, it has no power over me either. “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.” (1 Corinthians 15:19) Christians, let this mind not be true of you. 

After Moses and the children of Israel crossed the Red Sea he declared, “The Lord is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation; He is my God, and I will praise Him; My father's God, and I will exalt Him.” (Exodus 15:2) Words of praise have no power to control God and will not persuade Him to do anything against will; however lifting up His name in spirit and in the truth especially in dry, desert places pleases Him beyond measure. Remember this world is not our hope, nor is it our home.  We have a life that goes beyond the grave and exists outside of time, all because of the amazing grace of Jesus Christ.  Oh what a glorious day it will be to stand before my King, face to face!  In the meantime I know I can truly praise Him in the storm because He is raised from the grave, alive forever more. May no trial we face ever cause us to forget that Jesus Christ is our eternal strength and our never-ending song.
For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/

To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment