The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Monday, October 8, 2012

Fought the Good Fight


The man you see pictured here is a man of God, our former Calvary Chapel* Pastor, Ed Gaines. He went to be with the Lord September 28, 2012 after a 2 year battle with cancer. Since Ed’s body was compromised by kidney problems for 22 years, he needed extra strength from Jesus to fight this final fight with cancer. Over the span of his life and mine we weren't friends long, but our paths crossing was more than significant. About a year after my husband and I moved to Tucson from the Fairfield Ohio area (where Ed was pastor at Calvary Chapel Tri-State*), I found out I had cancer and so did Ed. As he prayed with me from far away over the phone I felt blessed to have this precious connection with him. We encouraged each other over the next two years. Ed told me reading my blog helped him press on and in turn the Lord continued prompting me to declare the need for all of us to stay focused on Jesus Christ.

Regardless of his health problems, Ed preached the Gospel week after week, every chance he had. Ed regaled us with tales of the dialysis nurses preparing for an earful of God’s truth whenever they saw him walk through the door for treatment. (That’s how I want to be!) When Ed was physically weak and unable to walk to the pulpit he insisted the elders assist and if need be carry him to a chair on the riser so he could still preach. (That’s how I want to be!) This man was all about getting God’s Word to God’s people and any issues he faced were secondary. Ed didn’t take the easy road on controversial topics either: he spoke boldly knowing the Lord could be trusted with the results. What an example he was to me! Are we only willing to put it all on the line when we’re staring at death? Ed was faithful, healthy or sick.

The Apostle Paul said “I die daily.” (1 Corinthians 15:31) This exclamation was not born from  his suffering from cancer or some other life threatening condition, but rather the realization we all die. This is part of the curse of original sin. (Genesis 3) Paul also comprehended and believed (as he said to the Philippians’ church) “I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ.” (Philippians 3:8). Paul was simply saying he willing to die because he knew his eternal destination. The same was true of Pastor Ed. He fought the good fight and now is wearing the crown. (2 Timothy 4:8) Perhaps with a golden Afro? J

Are you sure you will meet believers in Christ after you pass from the earth? Remember Jesus said “no one comes to the father except by Him” and that He alone paid the whole price for sin. If this is your belief you can be confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.“ (Philippians 1:6) 

For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com

No comments:

Post a Comment