The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Still on the Throne

      
Who wants bad news: anyone? No one! We all want a ‘future so bright you gotta wear shades.’ The sunny side of the street sure is a nice place to be. What happens when bad news comes, and it will inevitably come to all who inhabit this fleshly tent in this fallen world? Today I went to my chemo doctor to get the results of my recent PET, CT and Brain MRI. None of these tests are routine in nature and are now part of the fabric of life fighting cancer. I will need to have these scans done for the rest of my natural life to catch cancer before it grows. My radiation oncologist told me a few months ago, “once bitten twice shy.” I ponder this sober reminder in my heart so I will not take any time for granted. The doctor told me today we have to get a better read but it looks like “a couple of hot spots” showed up in two lymph nodes near my heart that could be cancer.
It was surreal to hear this and I reflected back 17 months ago when I first heard the word cancer applied to me.  My statement then was “I’m so glad I’m a Christian.” Today my first thought was “Jesus is still on the throne.” Good news or not so good news, He’s still on the throne of my life and I know I belong to Him.  When I talked to my sweet husband Flynn shortly after my doctor visit he shared with me a message today that he heard about Jesus feeding the 5000. The disciples should have learned through this miracle how amazing it was that all those people could eat and there was no lack; all their needs were supplied. How true this has been for me on this cancer journey. The Lord has provided comfort and consolation, friends with food and fellowship and funds just at the right time and in the right way. My task, one might say is to allow the Lord to pour forth His love upon me and in turn, as I have been supplied, I share the “Bread of Life” with anyone who cares to know about Him.
John 6  which teaches the account of the feeding of the 5000 reads, ”Then they said to Him, "Lord, give us this bread always." And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.” (Verses 34 & 35)  Are we interested in following Jesus only when we are on the sunny side of the street or will we trust him in times of testing too? That’s an active and living faith, isn’t it? My regular work day ended with a Facebook message from a now 29 year old “kid” we witnessed to about 13 years ago. He spent many years away from the Lord and now he wants to re-connect with God as he put it. Today he just wanted to say how much he enjoys the Bible verses my husband and I post each day. How sweet. That’s what it’s all about – keep passing out the bread!
Medically speaking the doctor told me she’ll call me tomorrow to let me know more about the results. We are praying for wisdom for us and for her. She indicated the drug I’m currently taking may not be effective for me and I could go back to IV maintenance chemo. Another option may be to have my radiation doc treat these lymph nodes with a laser beam. Since he did a fabulous job with me before, I would trust him with that tricky procedure. Regardless, Jesus is still on the throne. Listen with your heart to these words from John 6:38-40. “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day."  
I’ve seen the Son of God and believe He died for me. I hope you believe that too because His promises always have our best in mind. The cancer support group that I have wanted to start at our church may become a reality as we meet tomorrow night with two of our church pastors. I must believe that the Lord has allowed me to go through all these phases of treatment so I could be a comfort to others walking in my shoes. Such is the reason for the scripture passage from which the name of this blog is derived:Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
Two things I will pray to remember henceforth; Jesus is on the throne and keep passing out the bread.
For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com

No comments:

Post a Comment