The Lord is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd
Comfort In Christ

Friday, December 30, 2011

Content In All Circumstances

Depending on one’s definition of contentment the concept can be more or less elusive and perhaps seemingly impossible to attain. For most people being content renders images of money enough to retire on, being surrounded by loved ones and maintaining ideal health… forever. Such goals are reasonable within the human perspective on life. We look for security in the things we can see, touch and feel. Hoping to be happy based on gratitude given by others is clearly a natural aspiration. What if…what about - when these circumstances change? What then? Is contentment more elusive than ever?
I hope in speaking for myself, more than one reader can identify with my regret over being foolish with finances and ruining the notion of early retirement. Having lived long enough to recount a number of bad decisions about relationships, I may have reduced my circle of love. One reason to write this blog is to share trials with cancer in hopes to encourage others, so clearly good health can’t be my source of contentment either. It seems to me contentment must be defined as a state of satisfaction, which can’t be altered by outside conditions. But can we be content in ALL circumstances? As a Bible believing Christian I am confident lasting contentment is attainable inasmuch as we desire to know Jesus; the One who keeps and delivers our souls.
Today, I had an exercise in learning to be content. As I sat in the doctor’s office waiting to find out if the two dense spots they found on a mammogram last month were anything to be concerned about, I considered the state of my heart. Anxiety wanted to creep in. Worry was waiting at the door. What would be the point of worrying about the outcome of the test? Jesus put it this way: "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?” (Matthew 6:25-27) I prayed to the Lord again today to help me be content no matter what the test showed; positive or negative – “let me praise You Lord Jesus because You are so good to me.” I never met the technician before today, but I was elated when she told me I just had simple cysts – nothing to worry about.
As one of my doctors is given to say about cancer; “Once bitten twice shy.” It is a real possibility that though cancer is now in submission, it may reappear. To live in fear of any disease is far from biblical. “Perfect love casts out fear.” 1 John 4  To live in fear that my life may end sooner than later is a waste of the precious time God has allotted. Oh to be content always, in a constant state of dependence on the Lord! How much better that would be!
The apostle Paul wrote these words for our benefit: “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:  I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11-13) Paul did not just arrive at this pinnacle of peace without first suffering loss. Of his tribulations he writes: “Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness-- besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. (1 Corinthians 11:25-28)
All this Paul endured for the sake of Christ, for the privilege of knowing and proclaiming the One who set him free from sin and death! He was content I think because he knew that this world was not his home and a “better country” awaited him. Until I reach my heavenly habitation, I expect to wrestle against worry and at times find true contentment elusive. As Jesus replaces fear with peace of mind and perfect love I expect to be less encumbered by the world and look ever forward to the day when I meet my Lord at the door to His mansion above. With God all things are possible!
For more posts from Comfort in Christ Cancer Support go to http://comfortinchristcancersupport.blogspot.com/
To receive automatic email updates of new posts, send an email request to: comfortinchrist@googlegroups.com 

2 comments:

  1. Your trust in the Lord is empowering. Will continue to pray for you and Flynn. As His child your days are in His hands. Rest in that assurance and continue to surrender all :)

    ReplyDelete